If you have not already, it is time to get that chimney inspected and cleaned for winter use. If you have never hired a chimney sweep before, there are some things you should ask, know, and look for before hiring someone to come into your home to clean your chimney. We have put together a few helpful tips to ensure you hire a trustworthy and reliable professional.
- First and foremost, make sure the chimney sweep is certified. There are far too many so called “experts” out there that are nothing more than common contractors trying to make an extra buck. If they are not certified, do not use them, period.
- See if the company has a website and check to see if there are any BBB complaints about the company. If there are, follow up to see how happy the customer was with the resolution. While it is virtually impossible to make everyone happy, how they handle complaints is extremely important just in case you do run into a problem.
- When dealing with a company for the first time, try to secure references. If the company is legitimate, this will not be a problem at all. If they refuse, it is a red flag to move your search elsewhere. In addition, once the service is complete and if you are happy, return the favor by telling them they can now use you as a reference for future customers.
- Make sure all of the work is guaranteed. Again, this should not be a problem for any reputable company and should be within the language of the contract.
- Find out what the company’s policies are in regard to set up and clean up. Your home, at the very least, should look as it good as it did before they arrive as it does when they leave. The proper precautions need to be taken during the cleaning service to protect your home and belongings.